Breakfast Chat: Fresh Morning Meal

One thing that makes a total diet change doable is having foods that are tasty and nutritious. It makes me feel like I am not losing out on something, but gaining a culinary delight.  Take today's breakfast for example.
I have several positive things going on here. It was quick to make, colorful, and will keep me energized and feeling full for most of the day.  I need the energy boost as after breakfast, I'll be working out. 

This dish is simple.  
Spinach for the base.  2 eggs cooked to your preference on top of the spinach.  Top with your favorite salsa. Mine is a homegrown tomatillo, roasted garlic and ghost pepper salsa. Next is cheese.  Mine is vegan feta crumbles by Follow Your Heart. A sliced sweet red pepper. Followed by homegrown clover sprouts.  I like something crunchy to go with it and enjoy a pack of seaweed alongside this dish.

Next comes my low fructose fruit salad.  The fruits I can eat are severely limited.  The gastrointerologist did several tests on me. One was the fructose intolerance test.  We discovered that my body does not absorb fructose properly and that it is a strong source of the gas and bloating I was experiencing, on top of other problematic symptoms.
This salad is made with several low fructose fruits:
Green bananas, strawberries and blueberries. Raspberries but not blackberries are good too.  I just ran out of raspberries today.
Finally, there is this blue colored tea.  Even with the diet and exercise changes, my blood pressure is on the high side of normal.  According to several health minded groups, Butterfly Sweet Pea tea is supposed to help with this and several other things.  Being enticed mostly by the color it turns the tea water while being skeptical of pop "science", I thought I'd give it a try.  I drink this tea a couple times a week now.  The last two doctor visits my blood pressure was noticable lower.  Was it from the diet change and getting better or from the tea? Who knows. What I know is it is pretty and has a lovely mild flavor. Sometimes, first thing in the morning colorful enticing food is half the battle in keeping us excited to continue on our quests for health.

Comments

  1. Love all the color! I'll have to to making that 4 my husband

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so tasty. Hands down my favorite breakfast.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment