Soda Cocktails (GF)

On occasion, I like to relax a bit with a spiked soda.  I hope to figure out high fructose alternatives for the sodas. I don't drink diet sodas.  They taste bitter to me. But for now, as an occasional drink for me, the high fructose corn syrup in the soda don't seem to set off the unwanted symptoms while providing a moment of that invisible massage and a lovely nap to follow. This is the sane part of working with a medical team like mine versus following a fad diet. There are times to be strict on a diet and times where one can relax with foods that are not overly problematic.  Everything in balance to achieve and maintain one's health goals.

All these drinks are gluten free, which for me is necessary. Grains and me aren't best friends.

Orchard Delight, aka Green Apple Splash.  I was visiting my son and saw that he had Green Apple Vodka.  I tasted it and decided it had to be paired with Sprite.  It was so tasty.  I then looked up the two ingredients and saw this drink combination already existed. 
Smirnoff calls it Green Apple Splash and uses a 2 part lemon lime soda to 1 part Green Apple Vodka ratio. That's a bit strong and tastes bitter to me. I call my version Orchard Delight. 
I can be a bit of a lightweight.  So I make sure to drink plenty water and have something like chips and salsa to go with a mixed drink. With this drink, I found that about 1/4-1/3 C Smirnoff Green Apple Vodka and 1 can Sprite is a great combination for me. The family enjoys it, too. Spearmint sprigs and/or a lemon or lime wedge pairs nicely with it as well. 

Moscow Mule
1 part Smirnoff Vodka
4 parts Bold Ginger Ale (or any other strong ginger beer)
Splash of lime (to taste)
Spearmint sprigs and/or Lime wedge (optional)

Roman Coke, aka Rum and Coke I am hearing impaired and the first time someone shared one of these drinks with me, I heard "Roman Coke", not Rum and Coke. That's what I still call it.
2 parts Rum (I use Cruzan)
5 parts Coke (sometimes I use Dr Pepper.  Nice alternative)
Splash of Lime Juice

Paloma
1 part Tequila (I use the Patron Reposado.  I like it better than the Silver one)
3 parts Squirt
Splash of lime juice
Pinch of kosher salt
Mix together

Mom, That's Not Lemonade
My first "Mom, That's Not Lemonade" was a funny story. I was visiting my daughter and saw she had some "lemonade". Being thirsty, I poured myself a large glass. It tasted so good. I drank it down quickly. Next thing I know, I felt my head get fuzzy and my arms and legs felt like they were going to fall off and disappear. I quickly went to my daughter and asked what was in the lemonade. She and her friends start laughing. "Mom, that's not lemonade." Needless-to-say, these are now on my soda cocktail favorite list. My daughter didn't have a recipe.  Just told me the ingredients. Time to be a mad scientist and recreate this best I can.  
Lemon Vodka
Squirt
Muddled mint
Lemonade
It's going to be fun to play with these and come up with a recipe.
Here's how it turned out.

I poured 6 C Lemonade and 12-18 Mint Leaves in a blender and gave it a whirl.  Poured that in my glass jar.  Add 1 C Lemon Vodka and 1 can Squirt

Comments