Breakfast Chat: When Eating Becomes Terrifying


Good morning.

I recently became busy with a few things and kitchen art took a break.  A few pastries and several coffee shack Chai with oatmilk drinks snuck in.  In this state of just get things done and out of the way, old habits of nibbling on sweets decided to join the wagon.  Add to that, I got out of my exercise routine.

Bet you know what happened.  

Fortunately, my gut health has been strengthened enough to withstand this.  Even in the not being careful, I was mindful to not overdo it as pain is a really motivating factor for me to avoid certain things. 

But the scale? It does not lie.  6 pounds found their way back on. Suddenly, the thought of eating became terrifying.  I need to keep dropping the weight for my health.  Not put it back on.  And my stress induced choices took its toll.

Our bodies and their changing needs as we age and deal with intolerances, inflammation, and gut health are a challenge to reconcile with.  They become strict instructors with little to no room for stepping out of line.  

One thing I am learning in all this is not to let setbacks turn into anxiety attacks and depression.  Stepping on the scale these last few days was a battle.  I have fought for so many of my adult years to become well.  Every effort pushes me into a greater state of health.  I am far healthier and stronger than I was at 20.  Hard to believe I am saying this at 48.  But it is true.  

Yesterday, I was feeling discouraged by this set back.  I was doing some stretches while listening to some classes and realized, the pain in my shoulder from the arthritis is nearly gone.  I have mobility back that was lost to me for 3 years. I am doing something right.  And making progress. I may have taken one step back but I took 2 steps forward!  

That my friends is worth celebrating.  That is a launching point of defeating anxiety and depression.  Acknowledging this helps with getting back on track and doing what it takes to help support this body for the adventures ahead.


Comments

  1. glad you found some positive and glad you are seeing positive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here. You know how much of a struggle it has been and how desperate I became in order to fight so hard to do what I need to become well. Minor setbacks are just launching points to go forward even further.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment