Whole Grain Bread Tips

After having a few whole grain loaves of bread come out crumbly and heavy, I knew if I was to achieve that perfect soft and light, moist loaf, I had better do some research. 

I started with my long standing trick of bringing water to a simmer and then add brown sugar and freshly ground grain and some all purpose flour to make a runny batter.  Cover and let it sit until cooled enough to add the yeast. This allows the grain to absorb the water that is essential in preventing the bread from being too dry.  With the bran, germ, and endosperm present, they are like a sponge that thirstily soaks up all the water it can. Whole grain bread requires a greater water to flour ratio, than regular all purpose wheat flour.  This trick alone had not been enough. 

Because the gluten content is different from what is found in whole wheat, I needed something to help it rise. I tried 2 tricks from MomKnowsBest.net I added a dash of ginger and pinch of citric acid thinking that if this person is right and ginger will help the yeast and citric acid will make it lighter, it was worth a try.

I also added just enough flour to be able to knead the dough. Then I turned on my KitchenAid and let it go to work for me for about 10 min.

I then lightly heated my oven so it was warm as the house is a bit chilly and dough rises better when it is warm.  Then I turned it off.  Lightly brushed the dough with oil. Covered the stainless steel mixing bowl (some say to let dough rise in glass or pottery but stainless steel worked fine) and let it rise.

Then I proceeded as usual and here we are. Soft, moist, delicious whole grain einkorn bread. Next time, I will have to actually take measurements and not to my bibbidi bobbidi boo method of cooking, that way I can share a recipe for those of who don't have a fairy godmother assisting you.

Comments