Discoveries: Surprising Dairy Alternatives

One of the challenges I have had is dairy.  I love dairy products.  I even worked on starting a cheese factory. I suddenly had to quit when I came to terms with the fact that dairy doesn't love me as much as I love it.

Cheese was the hardest food item for me to walk away from.  I tried making several vegan recipes.  My first one required nutritional yeast.  Turns out, that isn't my friend either and blinded me with a migraine. I found porcini mushrooms give these fake cheeses a smoky flavor. Some fakes are a decent alternative to mac n cheese or for cheese spread.  But none have tasted right so far.  

So I went to the store. I tend to be an ingredient snob and am not thrilled with the ingredients in many alternatives.  Most alternatives have the nutritional yeast in them, which I can't eat as it gives me optical migraines. Several brands don't taste right. I found several alternatives so far that make me feel like I am not missing out any longer: 
1. Violife Mediterranean style Grill Me
2. Follow Your Heart Feta Crumbles 
3. Violife Cheddar Slices
4. Violife Just Like Parmesan
5. Daiya Mozzarella Style Cheeze Sticks
6. Vegan Ched-Melts
7. Violife Just Like Feta

Dairy extends beyond cheese replacements into butter, yogurt, sour cream, etc.  I don't drink the store bought milk replacer except for a macadamia nut milk on by Milkadamia.  I make my own nut and bean milks that I am listing here Alternative Milk Options

Other non-dairy options
1. Kite Hill almond milk yogurt
2. Treeline Plant Based French Style Cheese
3. So Delicious cream cheese
4. Forager organic dairy free sour cream
5. Forager Cashewmilk Yougurt


Violife Mediterranean style Grill Me
A favorite here and essential for the Stand Alone Grilled Cheese recipe.
Follow Your Heart Feta Crumbles
Violife Cheddar Slices
Violife Just Like Parmesan
Daiya Mozarella Style Cheeze Sticks
I tend to not like Daiya cheeze, but this one works when added to zucchini mushroom soup. Otherwise, it's not my favorite and I wouldn't snack on it.
Vegan Ched-Melts
Melts nicely.  Similar to cheese.  Nice flavor and texture. Highly recommend this!
Violife Just Like Feta
As the name says, it tastes "just like feta."

Kite Hill Almond Milk Yogurt

Treeline plant based French style cheese
I doesn't taste like cheese at all. Not one I recommend.

So Delicious Cream Cheese 
Forager Organic Dairy Free Sour Cream
Forager Organic Dairy Free Cashewmilk Yougurt Vanilla
Forager makes many flavors of this and I love them all! 

Comments

  1. Have tried both. Follow your heart is okay. Dont care for the other one. We dont do a lot of cheese though. I tend to use daiya shredded to add a taste to salads but other than that hardly use. But I'm not a hard core cheese fan ♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting how our tastes vary. I really dislike Daiya. Not only are the ingredients off putting to me, but the taste is wrong. Then again, dairy is kinda my thing. Miss it and am working on discovering and creating alternatives that have similar taste, texture and melt ability.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment